World Calendar: Must-Attend April Events
There are some amazing events on tap all over the world, all the time. Here’s a taste of what you can see and do in April:
- In the mood to party? Head to Seville, Spain, for the Feria de Abril (April 21-26), which celebrates the arrival of spring with characteristic Andalusian élan. Join Sevillanos as they take to the streets, often in traditional costume, for six full days (and nights) of dancing, drinking, and tapas noshing in casetas (canvas tents) that line the city streets.
- Music festival season is finally afoot. Jump in headfirst by traveling to New South Wales for the Byron Bay Bluesfest (April 2-6). With an impressive lineup that includes Jurassic 5, Jimmy Cliff, and the Black Keys, this Australian aural extravaganza has something for everyone (including the occasional koala sighting).
- In 1986, the town of St. George, S.C., made a delicious discovery: that the residents there ate more grits per capita than any other place in the world. Thus the World Grits Festival (April 11-13) was born. Today, the annual event draws tens of thousands of grits lovers for three days of gluttonous fun that includes a “rolling-in-the-grits contest” and a campy parade.
- The arts take center stage during Budapest’s Spring Festival 2015 (April 10-26). For well over two weeks, the Hungarian capital comes alive with concerts, theater and dance performances, and visual art exhibitions that celebrate and demonstrate the importance of culture.
- Enjoy one of nature’s greatest shows at the Yeouido Spring Flower Festival (April 4-8) in Seoul, South Korea, where some 1,500 cherry trees in peak bloom bathe the city in delicate shades of pink and white. Street performances, fireworks, and a flower-art exhibit make this a cut above the average cherry blossom festival (and one you have to witness firsthand).
What would you add to the list? Let us know what we’re missing by leaving a comment below.